JL - Presidents

Presidents Council Meeting - 3/10/00


  • Opening Remarks - Chairman Bob Johnson opened the meeting at 8:30 AM. The Feb. 11, 2000 minutes were approved.

  • Secretary/Treasurer's Report - Gordon Cook reported that the villages not represented were Bay Head, Harbour and Southporte.

    There is $2,981 in our account plus $200 in undeposited checks from the villages. To date all but 2 villages, Bay Head and Harbour, have paid the $100 assessment passed in December.


  • JLGC Activities - Paul Moore reported on JL Golf Club activities. The board will be meeting today to interview two candidates for General Manager. The dining revenue is over budget. There has been an upsurge in dining. In January and February, guest play on the golf courses was down. The total number of rounds was normal.

    Beth Meister gave the membership report. Her prepared remarks are attached.


  • Central Gate & Bar Code Entry System - Bill Howe reported the POA is studying, in stages, the possibility of closing the central gate. First a study involving the County will determine if we're allowed to close the gate based on its usage. If so, the board will further study this issue.

    The bar code entry system will start with installation at the North Gate. The gate will be closed for 2 weeks of construction in May. The gate will be operable initially with either the present "clicker" or with the bar code system. That system involves having a JL bar code sticker on the inside of your windshield. Once the North Gate is finished, construction will proceed to the South Gate and then the Central Gate. Old Trail will be done next fall.


  • Ron Ryan Withdraws From POA Election - Bill Howe reported that Ron Ryan learned he is not eligible to be a director under the current POA bylaws (technically he's not an owner, the house is in Mig's name). Ron asked to have his name withdrawn as a nominee. The POA will look into changing its bylaws.

  • Villages Have Same Bylaws Problem - Most JL villages have the same overly restrictive eligibility requirements in their bylaws. Because of trusts or a single name on the deed, many residents (including current board members and officers) are technically ineligible to be on their village board. Many presidents indicated they will be looking into changing their bylaws.

  • Bylaw Recommendations On Next PC Agenda - After today's meeting, the PC Officers decided it made sense for the Presidents to work together to find a common solution to this bylaws problem. This item will be on the agenda for the April meeting and each President is requested to research the problem (with Counsel if possible) and be prepared to offer suggestions for discussion. The POA will also report on developments on this issue.

  • Design Control Board - Glenn Fetter encouraged the presidents to educate their residents about the DCB's function at the village annual meetings.

  • Security Report - Bob Shea provided the Security Status Report for February. A copy is attached to the mailed copy of these minutes.

  • Contractors List - Bill Howe will bring the list of contractors compiled from the various village recommendations to the next meeting.

  • New Residents Folders - Bill Howe is working on a new version and expects to complete it by the April meeting. Bob Shea has some covers for the old version, but the associated contents are missing.

  • JL Cares - Blood Mobile - The recent blood drive had 29 donors, a good start. Bob Kiskaddon is going to have the blood mobile in JL again on April 17, June 12, August 7, and October 30.

  • JL Cares - Fruit Pickup - The surplus fruit pickup was a big success. Charlie Walsh had fruit in his trunk and back seat - hardly had room for Maureen in the car! The pantry was grateful to have it. There will be another drive April 5-7.

  • Nominating Committee - Bob Johnson announced that the Presidents Council Nominating Committee consists of Milt Schottland - Chairman, Peter Oram and Bard McLean. They will be reporting their nominees at the April meeting.

  • Summer Contacts - Bob Johnson asked all Presidents who will not be here this summer to provide an alternate contact for their village.

  • Next Meeting - Our next meeting will be Friday, Apr. 14, 2000 at 8:30 AM in the Nickaleer Lounge of the Golf Club.

  • Respectfully submitted - Gordon Cook

    Minutes of Presidents Council meetings, a list of village presidents, their e-mail addresses, etc. can be found by going to http://gcook.com then following the links to Jonathan's Landing and the Presidents Council.



JLGC Membership Report - 3/10/00

Beth Meister - Director of Marketing


    We are currently at 709 golfing members. Budget is based on 715. There are a number of home closing coming up and we should be close to this number by the end of the year. Most will not activate their membership until the fall which will push us making the 715 number further into the year.

    The jamboree was very successful and we should get 3 to 4 members as a result. Last year we converted 2 to golf membership.

    The Renter Program has also been successful this year. Last year 3 renters became residents/members, this year should show us 5 to 6 new members. The Renter Socials have been fairly successful.

    To better analyze our Resident to Member ratio I am asking that each Village President help in determining their Village roster. I will be sending each of you what our records currently show. If you would each take a moment to verify that the address matches the resident and make any changes that are necessary. This will allow us to communicate directly with them with Club information and solicit them to join the Club. We are not currently using the POA listing for mailings as a number of our members ask that their Club mail go to a different address than their POA billings and information. We would like this information back from the Presidents by April 1, 2000. Should the POA wish to produce a collective roster of residents/members this would allow us to easily complete the task. We would also encourage their participation in the $7,000 cost to produce the roster.

    The Summer Membership will be effective from May 1 through October 15th. The price was raised from $1100 to $1250 and now includes the range. Last year we had 119 members, budget for 2000 is 110.

    With the low inventory of real estate for sale, we are seeking members from the condos along the beach and in the higher income areas of Jupiter and Tequesta. Our initial mailing to the condos on the beach has shown a strong interest for membership. A second mailing is planned for early April.

    The Membership and Marketing Committee will be making its recommendation to the Board concerning the resolution made last year regarding the move to an all equity club. The Committee is concerned about the loss of up to $500,000 in revenue at this time. A recommendation will be made to the Board prior to the April meeting so that information can be distributed to the membership prior to their return north for the summer. No recommendation has been made to the Board up to this point pertaining to a proposed equity fee or dues.

    The Club’s website has been redesigned and will be up and running before April 1. (For the next few weeks you'll get the old version.) Please visit www.jonathanslanding.com for a complete and thorough presentation of Jonathan’s Landing. The website will include a full listing of villages and detailed information. The "Members Only" password is: 1696

    The last insertion of our direct mail piece into the Palm Beach Post will be Friday, March 17th. We will pick this program up again in the Fall.